Grout: The single element that can give your rooms a flawless, waterproof makeover. The question is: How can you leverage this in your properties in the best possible way?
Well-kept grout doesn’t just keep your surfaces looking stellar. it also serves as a form of waterproofing and protection for your most vulnerable and exposed seams, such as those in your bathroom area or near the kitchen sink. You can grout virtually any seam where a vertical surface meets flooring or an object — and it can change everything about your space if you do it right.
Here’s our full guide to gorgeous, Pinterest-worthy grout in 2023. We’ll also be covering the proper ways to clean, update and care for your grout, as well as some pro tips to give you the best experience possible.
What is grout?
Grout is that sealant that you likely have around the floor attachment point of your bathtub or Utah shower door sliders. It’s often white, and it’s considered to be a healthy mix of cement, sand and water. You can purchase colored grout options too, which we’ve seen grow as a trend between 2022 and 2023.
Many people think that grout is the same as cement. While this can be a common misconception, grout is more flexible — giving you similar watertight benefits without the rigidity and breakage risks that you see with cement. The main difference? Grout has no stone, which makes for a more flexible blend altogether.
How do you install grout?
Installing grout is a relatively simple process compared to other DIYs. It’s important to do your research first and pick a grout you’re comfortable with using before you begin. This keeps you from costly mistakes and product waste.
Here’s our quick guide to grout installation.
- Choose your grout. White? Eggshell? Gray? Blue? The color is up to you. Choose your vendor and your color, and read the package instructions before continuing. Be sure to purchase a float tool on this shopping trip as well.
- Mix up your mix. It’s time to get your mix put together. Make at least a quart to start, depending on the size of your space.
- Pour and scrape. Dump your mix on your tiles of choice. We know this won’t seem like the right thing to do — but here’s where it’s important to trust the process. Your float tool will be there to help you scrape up any excess for a flawless grouting experience.
- Scrub and rub. Grab an old t-shirt or any other rag or sponge and scrub the tile surface and areas where grout shouldn’t be. You may need to repeat this step if you notice any sort of haze on your tiles. Allow your grout to dry into the cracks as you do this process.
- Grab your sealer. You’re almost done. Now, it’s time to paint your sealant on for an extra layer of protection.
In just five steps, you’ve given your space a subtle, classic look.
Cleaning your grout
Now that it’s installed, you’ll want to block time for regular upkeep and maintenance to leave you with a high-end look you’ll love. Here’s how you can clean your grout effectively with things you likely already have around your home.
- Get the loose stuff with some hot water and elbow grease. If you want to just do a light cleaning, hot water is sufficient. You can also go at it with a squirt of dish soap in your solution for an extra pop.
- Go a bit deeper with a stiff bristle brush. If you have buildup or dirt in your grout, you might consider adding in a bristle brush.
- Glow with a deep clean, courtesy of hydrogen peroxide. This is one of the most in-depth forms of cleaning for your grout, and it should be done a few times a year anyway for maximum shine. Dilute it with a splash of water and some dish soap for extra scrubbing power. Be sure to wear gloves.
Looking for the best deals on Utah shower doors?
Ready to get your home Pinterest-ready? The team at Vision Mirror and Shower are here to make your dreams a reality. We offer you the most modern and cutting-edge designs for your bathroom and space, keeping you on-trend and in a state of effortless luxury. Shop our upscale shower doors in Salt Lake City or ask about our competitive specialty glass products today. We look forward to serving you!