Installation of any kind can often feel like an overwhelming task to take on. If you’re unsure of the steps, one issue can lead to other issues which could cause delays. Whether you are doing commercial or private work, you want it done right the first time.
The key is preparation. Know your best practices, understand the layout instructions and have the right tools on hand.
Industry best practices – are you prepared?
It is best not to assume that basic practices are understood and integrated regularly by all. With that being said, did you bring your power drill to the site?
You may laugh but you would be surprised at how often simplicity is overlooked. While necessary hardware is typically included with the materials, you will inevitably need more for an efficient and streamlined installation. Make sure you show up with everything you need to get the job done. Otherwise, you risk losing time, increasing labor and causing unnecessary aggreviation.
Typical tools needed include:
- Tape Measure
- Power Drill
- Drill Bits
- Jig Saw
- Chalk Line
- Spring Clamps (2)
- Scrap Wood (2×4): to support panel during instillation
If you have a clear idea of how the process will go, you will come prepared with tools needed, and the project will be exponentially more efficient.
Understand manufacturer instructions are design specific
Vision Mirror and Shower Door offers toilet partitions as part of our service offering along with installation. We understand that not all manufacturers offer their suppliers or customers the same services, resulting in the need for contracted help.
In this case, proper attention to manufacturer listings and details are mission critical to successful partition installation. Each design can be different and altered in minor ways that change the entire process. Become familiar with the varying creative designs and developmental distinctions.
While nuances can be complex in nature, once you have a general understanding of partitions, pieces and how they fit together, you will have the basic knowledge needed to properly assemble the dividers. Also note that partitions are manufactured using various materials including stainless steel, laminate, solid plastic, ceramic, glass and more, so adjust your tools and techniques accordingly.
First things first. Double check that the installation site and surrounding areas are clean and ready for project implementation. Have you read the instructions? This is important. Each piece of the partition has specific instructions for proper assembly. Be sure the foundation and wall support have the grounded structure to adequately hold the new addition.
Let the installation begin.
First, brackets for the walls and floor:
- Position the floor plates and wall brackets.
- Mark the center lines from back wall and center lines between wall brackets.
- Find where the floor fasteners should be positioned based on installation instructions.
- Mark holes for the wall brackets.
- Drill wall bracket and floor fastener holes based on your previous markings.
- Next you will insert the anchor bolts into the holes you drilled in the walls and finish securing the wall brackets.
- Expansion shield implementation comes next. Position the “L” brackets loosely over the expansion shields.
Next, position the main panel:
- Insert the panel into the floor support, roughly 12 inches off of the ground.
- Insert panel into the wall brackets (don’t tighten yet).
Pilaster (rectangle column extending from the wall) preparation:
- The U-brackets need to be placed on the back of the pilasters.
- Use sheet metal screws to loosely tighten the brackets to the column (pilaster).
- Thoroughly inspect the shoe before inserting the pilaster.
- Ensure that the pilaster will fit the shoe tightly so as not to bow or slide.
- Squeeze outer edges of the shoe if need be.
- Set the pilaster in between the “L” brackets and screw loosely together.
Secure, seal, finished:
- Complete installation by fastening the column to the panel using the “U” brackets and sheet metal screws.
- The mounting of the pilaster into the wall will allow for the partition door to properly open.
- Tighten all of the previously loose screws to ensure safety and security.
- Remove any excess tape or other support segments used during project instillation.
- Prep the door, secure brackets, and hang the door.
Again, Vision Mirror and Shower Door is glad to assist in product design and installation. If you have any questions about your current bathroom renovation projects, or general inquiries involving partitions or glass shower doors and accessories in Salt Lake City, please feel free to reach out to us today for more information. We look forward to working with you!